Indoor is the new outdoor, right? Lockdown is certainly not the time for hitting the town, but that doesn’t mean you can’t make the most of the nice weather and free time. Of course, not everyone has free time as there are plenty of key workers making a huge contribution, and students still preparing for exams and assignment hand-ins, but hopefully you too can find some time to have some fun in lockdown. Here are our own Igloo recommendations for things to do over the coming weeks as the heat picks up and the nights get shorter.
Igloo suggests: 5 things to do in lockdown
- Binge series after series. Now everyone loves a good Netflix binge, but now there are so many more streaming sites that are bringing you an array of shows during lockdown. All 4 have just added tonnes more shows, plus the new series’ of Gogglebox, Friday Night Dinner, SAS Who Dares Wins, and more are rolling in the episodes week on week. Disney+ is packed with years of brand new and classic films, shows, and series’, whilst football fans can watch and listen the reinvented Match of the Day over on BBC iPlayer. You can’t forget Amazon Prime too, which is packed with top quality shows, as is the recently popularised Britbox. Plenty of options there for you, so go and dig in!
- Learn to cook/bake something new. There are so many insane meals out there that are just waiting to be made, and we can assure you they are nicer than Pot Noodles! Forget banana bread and cookies. BBC Good Food is packed with easy meals, tasty treats, and student-friendly recipes that wont take forever to make! Alternatively, seeing as you probably shop there, Tesco has a dedicated page for delightful student meals that you can get stuck into during lockdown, so check that out right here for a great range of cooking ideas.
- Walk in the Peak District. If you’re located on or around the Ecclesall Road/Endcliffe Park area then you are just a few kilometres walk away from the glorious Peak District. You can even download Strava – an app that tracks your routes – and set yourself challenges to walk further each time. There are tonnes of great routes to take, so get your trainers or boots on and head off out!
- Start a new hobby. Now is the ideal opportunity to start a new hobby, and there are plenty to choose from. Cooking is obviously popular as mentioned, and it seems a lot of people are running more, but why not try music production? You can download a free trial of Ableton, a production workspace, for 90 days and get stuck into producing some tracks. There are plenty of YouTube tutorials to help you out, so don’t worry if you are a novice. Alternatively, you could start drawing or painting, as supplies would be easy to order from Amazon. Get creative and start something new.
- Zoom quizzes. You probably don’t need us to tell you about this one. Everyone is doing a quiz right now, so if you aren’t then get involved! Zoom is the home of lockdown entertainment, so gather your friends and get stuck in. Top quiz rounds include General Knowledge, Sport, Sheffield Knowledge, History, Celebrities, and plenty more!
Have you sorted your accommodation for 2020-21?
If not then DO NOT worry. Here at Igloo, we are still working to bring a great range of student properties for you to reside in during the next academic year. If you haven’t already, head over to our ‘Properties‘ page and use the custom filters to chose the property that best suits you! There are plenty of options from one bedroom upwards, so whatever you need, head over to the Igloo ‘Properties’ page and get searching.